POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Use of non "letter" true type fonts : Re: Use of non "letter" true type fonts Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use of non "letter" true type fonts
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Mar 2001 22:22:38
Message: <3aa3067e@news.povray.org>
In article <3aa2e49a@news.povray.org> , "The \"D\""
<web### [at] bsthypermartnet> wrote:

> a)there is a character for every letter I used when I vew the font in the
> windows font viewer b)I've used at least one of the fonts in a couple of
> word processing programs c)I've used one of the fonts with out trouble in
> breeze designer d)I've used on of the fonts to do stuff in ms-paint, psp3,
> and I think possibly the win32 gimp. e)one of them I got off of an online
> bible site, so I'm pretty sure that they would define all the letters for
> the font (or at the very least the ones they use, and this being a greek
> font...........)

All this is irelevant to determine if the font is usable in POV-Ray 3.1.

a) POV-Ray does not use any Windows code to get the font data.
b) These programs use Windows to draw the font, so see a).
c) Breeze Designer is platform specific, so it knows that it is dealing
with Windows fonts.
d) All three use Windows to draw the font, see c) and a).
e) As said in a previous post, that the font contains certain characters
in a certain mapping does not say POV-Ray can or will use this mapping
when searching for a character.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg